Thursday, March 24, 2016

Three Common Themes in Sci-Fi

Science-Fiction stories can be entertaining, but they also can tell us a lot about ourselves.  Here are three themes often show up in science-fiction stories.  Click on the link to read more about how they relate to being human.  Also, tell me if you think I am missing something crucial.

1)   Space Exploration

There’s something exciting about travelling at warp speed in the U.S.S. Enterprise, traveling to Jupiter aboard the Discovery One, travelling through the wormhole in the Endurance, or experiencing the beauty of Pandora.

2)   Artificial Intelligence

“I’m sorry, Dave.  I’m afraid I can’t do that.”  The classic line epitomizes our fear of A.I.-gone-crazy.

3)   Playing God

Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein is known as “The Modern Prometheus,” and today we continue to tell modern Frankenstein tales.  At what point does human artifice cross the line?

No comments:

Post a Comment