Thursday, March 24, 2016

Playing God or Playing Creation?

Christians recognize that God has given us a certain creative freedom with creation.  We take natural resources and build things out of them.  The entire world reflects what good and bad can come from that.  But every once in a while, science-fiction reminds us that such pursuits have consequences.

The Frankenstein archetype warns against “playing God,” against attempting to bring what seems to be encoded in nature as outside of our control into our control.  In struggling to equip ourselves with the ability to reach that point, we neglect to equip ourselves with the ability to handle the consequences.

One more modern rendition of this that comes to mind for me is Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  Scientists’ attempt to master just one aspect of the human genome leads to disastrous consequences for the entire planet.  So maybe the apocalypse is a bit of an extreme result to expect.  But parallels need not be literal.

I wrestle with this question.  I feel like modern medicine reflects the idea that God has given us the ability to harness our resources to promote human flourishing.  But when does it become “playing God”?  In an earlier post, I talked about Michael Sandel’s concerns regarding genetic engineering.  I wonder if his concerns provide an example of a framework for distinguishing between the two.  But even that involves nailing down the essentials of human nature.  I dealt with that in my first post, but I can’t claim that list as definitive or exhaustive.

No comments:

Post a Comment